Jacksons Michael and Janet, Gloria Estefan, Public Enemy, and many more that will really date me – there are a lot of musical references that could lead into this week’s theme. But after a week of exams and a new volunteering gig, I’ve got decision fatigue like you wouldn’t believe. Since I couldn’t pick just one, humor me and hum the “beats” related song of your choice while gazing on these:
Are beets musical? No. Good source of vitamins A and C, folate, potassium, and beneficial pigmented phytochemicals betalains and anthocyanins? Yes. Tasty when roasted, boiled, or even grated raw, and especially well-paired with earthy soft cheeses like brie or goat cheese? Oh, heck yes.
Roasted beets topped with goat cheese and a little balsamic vinegar is a staple side dish at our house. And while that combo accounts for, say 87% of the recipes I found including beets, you’d probably like a more diverse week’s worth, right? So I dug up some ways to eat beets uncooked (people do that?), have beets for breakfast, and even turn beets into ice cream.
One beet recipe caused a fair deal of cognitive dissonance: the custard-style oatmeal with beets.
Don’t get me wrong – it’s good, and pretty easy to make. It’s just that it comes out subtly sweet, and I think evolution trained us to expect a punch in the mouth from anything so fuchsia. Its flavor is squarely in oatmeal’s comfort-food corner. That said, I bet that recipe would be a great way to entice picky eaters into trying beets (since their flavor folds into the oatmeal so easily) or oatmeal (hot pink breakfast! Awesome!).
Before I get too far down the oatmeal path, let’s bring those beets back (aha! I got one in). Here is the week’s worth of recipes:
- Beet and quinoa pilaf, from NY Times (here)
- Beet gratin with greens and goat cheese, from Serious Eats (here)
- Beet red custard oatmeal, from Healthy with Heather (here) – I topped mine with some crunchy almond butter
- Beets with mint and yogurt, from Epicurious (here)
- Brie and beets appetizer, from Culinary.net (here)
- Dark chocolate and roasted beet ice cream, from Serious Eats (here)
- Golden beet and hazelnut salad, from Sunday Suppers (here)