Our group of was tasked this month with devising recipes for healthy condiments, spreads and salad dressings. At the end of this post, you’ll find the results including spicy tahinis and ranch dressings, legume-y hummus, and my own citrus sesame avocado dressing.
Citrus avocado dressing isn’t anything new under the sun – just google around and you’ll find lots of good ideas. But the small twist I put on this recipe is including the nutty taste of sesame oil. If you recall the goat cheese, fruit and spinach salad that I like to make, those were the flavors and texture I was going for: sweet, tangy citrus; nutty like almonds; and creamy like goat cheese. The result is a simple, 4-ingredient dressing that goes great over simple greens.
To make this dressing (recipe text file here), you’ll need:
Juice of 2 lemons
1 very ripe avocado
2 Tbs honey or agave nectar
3 Tbs sesame oil
The lemon juice gives the dressing a decidedly tart flavor; if you’d rather avoid the Mega Pucker, use ½ cup orange juice instead of the juiced lemons.
Add all ingredients to a food processor & pulse until smooth and well-mixed (1-2 minutes), after which your food processor will end up looking like an extra from Ghostbusters:
The dressing will be pretty creamy; you could thin it out with water or a sweet fruit juice if you’d prefer a more pourable consistency. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the dressing out, and either store in the fridge or serve.
How would one serve it, you ask? Well, I’ve had it over a simple spinach and carrot salad, used it as a dip for pretzels, and several times this week I smeared some on nutty gluten-free bread and then topped it with thick slabs of heirloom tomato. But it’s a pretty versatile spread, so you can probably come up with myriad ways to use it!
Don’t spend too long experimenting with just this citrus avocado dressing, though – you’ll want to make time for all these other great recipes from my fellow Recipe Reduxers:
- Carlene Helble-Carlene’s Figments – Roasted Eggplant Pepper Schmeer
- Deanna Segrave-Daly – Teaspoon of Spice – Sicilian Relish
- Cherie Schetselaar Grain Crazy – Fry Sauce
- Dr Barb – Nutrition Budgeteer – Jalapeno Ranch Dressing is Versatile & Healthier
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar-Coat it – Spicy Tahini Dressing
- Kara Lydon – Peace, Love, and Food – Edamame Hummus
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition – Recipe Redux Kitchen Garden Salsa Verde
- Emma Cutfield-The Hearty Heart – Go-Go-Goji: Blood Building Salad Dressing
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense – Sweet Peanut Sauce & Dressing
- Regan @ The Professional Palate – Ponzu Sauce
- Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD – Recipe Redux: Your New Favorite Vinaigrette
- Stephanie Howard – Give Them Something Better – Creamy Garlic Feta Dressing
- Nicole Ferring Holovach – Whole Health RD – Mapple Salad Dressing
- Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian – Italian Vinaigrette Artichoke Dressing
- Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish – Thai Basil Peanut Pesto
- Kristina @ Love and Zest – Spiced Pumpkin Dip
- Meg @ Meg’s Food Reality – Sweet Potato Hummus
- gretchen | kumquat – dairy-free ranch dressing
- Everyday Tastiness – Pistachio Butter
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD – How to Roast Garlic & a Recipe for Roasted Garlic Hummus
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD – Creamy Triple Pepper and Kale Dip
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen – Garden-Fresh Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious – Butternut Squash Cream Cheese Spread